This course is coordinated by Dr. Cristian Alberto Durante, CESIMAR – CONICET, Argentina, from 25 November to 5 December 2023.
This 11-day intensive graduate course, directed primarily at Latin American postgraduate students and young professionals, will be offered in Spanish and Portuguese at the Centro Nacional Patagónico – CONICET, CENPAT, Puerto Madryn – Argentina. Instructors confirmed to date are faculty representing five Latin American countries (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Venezuela) and also from USA and Canada, with a wide array of scientific perspectives within Conservation Genetics.
The course combines discussion sessions, hands-on data analysis, and in-depth review and presentation of ongoing research by participating students, with formal lectures in project design, marker choice, phylogenetics, phylogeography, and population genetics. Throughout the course, we emphasize practical applications to the real-world conservation process.
Organized by ReGeneC in collaboration with local Argentine institutions: Centro para el Estudio de Sistemas Marinos (CESIMAR – CONICET), Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia San Juan Bosco (UNPSJB), and Instituto de Diversidad y Evolución Austral (IDEAus – CONICET).
The XVI ReGeneC course is supported by the United Nations University – Programme for Biotechnology in Latin America and the Caribbean (UNU-BIOLAC), Instituto Milenio BASE (IBASE), Instituto Luísa Pinho Sartori (ILPS), The Company of Biologists.
The main aims of the course are to:
- present the main theoretical frameworks of population genetics and bioinformatics and their application in conservation.
- provide analytical and computational tools for population genetics studies.
- critically analyze the different conservation currents and promote a critical view of conservation genetics theories and practices by scientists.
- evaluate the legal, ethical, and social frameworks for the development of conservation genetic studies in different countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.
- facilitate incorporating the workshop content into the participants’ research projects by assigning an advisory committee to each participant.
The open call is open to anyone interested.
Applicants must apply via email at firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Deadline: 15 August 2023
More information on the website.