- UNU-FLORES, Ammonstrasse 74, Dresden, 01067, Germany
- +49 351 8921 3429
- Agriculture and rural development
- Environmental Change & Sustainable Development
- Sustainability Science
- Water resource management
- Phd at the Technical University of Dresden, Germany
- MSc. at the University of Florence on Environmental Science - Faculty of Agriculture , Florence Italy
- Since 2019 Appointed as Gender focal point at UNU-FLORES
- Since 2018: Steering Committee member of the ‘Nexus Cluster’ led by Sim4Nexus, DAFNE and UNU-FLORES
- 2017-2018 Guest editor to the Special issue on ‘Sustainable Development Goals’ in Sustainability Management Forum (SMF) edited by Uwe Schneidewind and Edel Günther
- Since 2017 Member of the German water and wastewater association DWA -working group on water reuse in agriculture
- Since 2017 Coordinator of the Nexus Seminar Lecture Series Program for UNU-FLORES
- Since 2015 Member of the ESSEM COST Action ES1403 New & emerging challenges and opportunities in water reuse
- Since 2016 Member of the Blue Circle Society and in charge secretary
- Reviewer for UN-Water on the report “Water and Sanitation Interlinkages across the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”. Geneva.2016.
- Since 2010 Member of detecting evolutionary hot spots of antibiotic resistances in Europe (DARE). COST ACTION. (2009-2013).
- Session Convener Open space workshop convener on Water reuse. 9th Water Research Horizon Conference Towards Blue Cities and their Environs”. 03 – 04 July 2018, Dresden, Germany.
- Session convener “How can we enhance the communication between scientists and policy makers?” at International Conference on Challenges and Solutions related to Xenobiotics and Antimicrobial Resistance in the Framework of Urban WasteWater Reuse: Towards a Blue Circle Society. 11 October 2018. Limassol, Cyprus.
- Session convener "Towards a blue circle society: Considerations related to the contaminants of emerging concern" 10th Micropol & Ecohazard Conference 2017. 17 – 20 September 2017. Vienna, Austria.
- Session convener “Contaminants of emerging concern - can we reach the targets?" at the Young Water Professional Day 2017. 17 September 2017. Vienna, Austria.
- Member of the Organizing committee - Blue Circle Society for the International Conference on Challenges and Solutions related to Xenobiotics and Antimicrobial Resistance in the Framework of Urban WasteWater Reuse: Towards a Blue Circle Society (10-12 October 2018). Limassol, Cyprus.
Serena Caucci is an Associate Programme Officer at UNU-FLORES. Prior to joining UNU-FLORES, Serena served as a researcher and scientific project manager at the Technische Universität Dresden, Germany and at the Helmholtz-Centre for Environmental Research – UFZ in Leipzig, Germany where she elaborated and coordinated efforts on water sanitation and the impact of contaminants of emerging concern in anthropogenic-driven environments. Serena has also worked as consultant for the EIT Climate KIC where she developed curricula for innovation trainings and knowledge transition in bioeconomy. She began her career as Environmental Science Fellow at the University of Florence, Italy where her work on carbon storage mechanism by microbial community in soils was part of a LIFE project Natura 2000.
Serena’s current research is geared towards sustainable development with a special interest in the impact that anthropogenic activities have on natural resources. Focusing on the sustainable management of wastewater and organic waste, Serena is working towards the development of a transdisciplinary framework that could make use of socioeconomic and environmental interlinkages to enhance sustainable natural resource management. The final goal of her activities leads to knowledge translation for evidence-based decision-making processes and its implementation at various scales.