The UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) will host this online seminar in observance of World Water Day (WWD) 2022. The event will bring together experts from the private sector, academia, and international organisations to discuss the interplay between water and COVID-19 from multiple perspectives, and share strategies for achieving SDG 6. The event is co-organised by UNU-IAS, the Global Environment Outreach Centre (GEOC), and UN-Water.
Held on 22 March every year since 1993, WWD celebrates water and raises awareness of the global water crisis. A corefocus of WWD is to support efforts toward the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 6 (Clean Water and Sanitation). The theme of WWD 2022 is "Groundwater – Making the Invisible Visible", to advocate for the importance of drinking water supplies, sanitation systems, farming, industry, and ecosystems, and to call for actions to protect groundwater from pollution and use it sustainably.
To participate in this event please register in advance.
This event will be held in English and Japanese, with simultaneous interpretation provided.
15:00 Opening remarks
- Shinobu Yamaguchi (Director, UNU-IAS)
15:05 Impacts of COVID-19 on Water and Progress toward SDG 6
- Taikan Oki (Professor, University of Tokyo; Former Senior Vice Rector, UNU)
15:25 The Role of Groundwater for SDG 6 in the COVID-19 Crisis
- Tomochika Tokunaga (Professor, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, University of Tokyo)
15:45 World Water Forum update
- Kensuke Fukushi (Academic Programme Advisor, UNU-IAS; Professor, Institute for Future Initiatives)
16:00 The Role of Private Sector
Moderator: Takashi Hashimoto (Lecturer, University of Tokyo)
- Yasuhiro Matsui (Manager, Innovation Center, Marketing Division, Yokogawa Electric Corporation)
- Koichi Matsubara (Deputy General Manager, Overseas Water Supply Dpt., Nihon Suido Consultants Co., Ltd.)
16:20 The Role of Science and Education
Moderator: Geetha Mohan (Research Fellow, UNU-IAS)
- Jiaqi Liu (JSPS Fellow, UNU-IAS)
- Thammarat Koottatep (Professor, Asian Institute of Technology)
- Kumiko Oguma (Professor, University of Tokyo)
16:40 The Role of International Organisations
Moderator: Jonghwi Park (Academic Programme Officer, UNU-IAS)
- Rio Hada (Team Lead, United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights)
- Kaoru Takahashi (Water Aid Japan)
- Sadhana Shrestha (JSPS Fellow, UNU-IAS)
For event updates and more information, visit the UNU-IAS website.