The UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) and the Ministry of the Environment of Japan (MOEJ) will co-organise a Global Environment Outreach Centre (GEOC) outreach event "Synergising ESD for 2030 Stakeholders Dialogue — Learn for our Planet, Act for Sustainability." The event will be held online on 1 July 2021 from 17:30 to 19:30 JST, and is a part of a series of UNU-IAS events to be organised around the UN High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) 2021.
This event aims to explain the key elements addressed at the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) (held in May 2021), and to discuss how to accelerate action on ESD for 2030 with international and local stakeholders. It will also be a preceding event for activities planned around International Youth Day in August 2021.
17:30 - 17:40 Opening Remarks
- Shinobu Yume Yamaguchi (Director, UNU-IAS)
- Tetsuya Nagashima (Director, Environmental Policy Division, Minister‘s Secretariat, Ministry of the Environment of Japan)
17:40 - 18:10 International Policy — Reports from UNESCO World Conference on ESD
- Alexander Leicht (Chief of Section, Section of Education for Sustainable Development, UNESCO)
- Q & A with participants, moderated by Jonghwi Park (Academic Programme Officer, UNU-IAS)
18:10 - 18:30 Japan’s Policy on ESD for 2030
- Taka Horio (ASP National Coordinator, Assistant Secretary-General, Japanese National Commission for UNESCO, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT))
- Kiyoka Miki, (Director, Environmental Partnership Office and Director, Office of Environmental Education, General Policy Division, MOEJ)
18:30 - 18:40 Youth Actions on ESD
- Ryoga Hiroki (RCE Yokohama Youth)
18:40 - 19:25 Discussion and Q & A: Synergising ESD for 2030 Stakeholders Dialogue – Learn for our Planet, Act for Sustainability
- Tomoko Hoshino, GEOC
- Alexander Leicht
- Kiyoka Miki
- Ryoga Hiroki
- Fumiko Noguchi (UNU-IAS Research Fellow)
English and Japanese simultaneous interpretation will be provided.
For more information and updates visit the UNU-IAS website.