This is an ongoing project focusing on long-run economic performance in developing countries and the role of structural change, industrialisation and technological advance in growth. The project has several dimensions including the following:
– measurement and analysis of comparative growth and productivity in the total economy and in economic sectors
– growth enhancing and growth reducing types of structural change
– manufacturing as an engine of growth and employment creation.
– the role of institutions in economic growth
– the analysis of growth episodes (slumps, recoveries, normal growth, growth accelerations
– the role of technology in growth, with an emphasis on knowledge creation, knowledge flows, knowledge spillovers.