EVENT: “Learning from Rio+20 – United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development”
at United Nations University Headquarters, Tokyo
DATES: Thursdays in July: 5, 12, 19 and 26 July 2012, 7:00 – 8:30 PM
ORGANIZERS: UNU and Shibuya City Office
- UNU has been organizing this public seminar series with the Shibuya City Office since 2003. The seminars are intended to provide opportunities for lifelong learning to the residents of Shibuya as well as those who work and study in the ward.
- This year’s seminar series will focus on the agenda and outcomes of the UN Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, held in June 2012 (the Rio+20 Summit).
- “We are very pleased to hold the UNU Shibuya Seminar Series jointly organized by UNU this year”, said Mr. Masaou Yamamoto, Chairperson of the Shibuya City Office Board of Education. “This year’s theme is “Learning from Rio+20 – United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development”. That conference, which marked the 20th anniversary of the 1992 UN Conference on Environment and Development (Earth Summit) brought important discussions in order to create a sustainable and viable society. The lectures will provide valuable opportunities for participants and experts to think together from a global perspective with regard to the results of Rio+20”.
- “The UN University is very pleased to continue its long-standing cooperation with Shibuya City for the organization of this annual seminar series”, said UNU Rector Konrad Osterwalder. “The focus of this year’s series is ‘Learning from Rio+20’, an event that has confirmed our global commitment to work together to ensure that coming generations will have the chance to live a decent life in peace, in freedom, in safety and in good health. Rio+20 was an important opportunity to find common understandings of how to ensure the well-being of humanity”.
- Scheduled lectures include Prof. Kazuhiko Takeuchi, UNU Vice-Rector and Director of UNU-ISP (“Nature-Harmonious Society and the Green Economy” on 5 July); Ms. Yuko Sakita, journalist, environmental counselor and Co-Chair, Japanese National Preparatory Committee for Rio+20 (“The Role of Multiple Stakeholders Towards Sustainable Community Development – Results of Rio+20” on 12 July); Dr. Jose A. Puppim de Oliveira, Assistant Director and Senior Research Fellow, UNU Institute of Advanced Studies (“Beyond Rio+20 : Opportunities and Obstacles for Greening the Economy and Improving Environmental Governance” on 19 July); and Mr. Masahito Kuse, Senior Research Fellow, UNU-ISP (“The Result of Rio+20 and the Environmental Policy of Japan” on 26 July).
- Simultaneous English–Japanese interpretation will be provided for the 19 July lecture; the other lectures will be presented in Japanese only.
Media representatives are cordially invited to attend. Further details and online registration are available at http://isp.unu.edu/events/2012/unu-public-seminars.html.