- Personnel Service Agreement (PSA)
- REFERENCE NO.:
- Tokyo, Japan
- UTC +9
- CLOSING DATE:
- Open until position is filled
About the United Nations University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University – Campus Computing Centre (C3)
The Campus Computing Centre (C3) serves as the technology arm of the United Nations University, providing, responsive, user-focused and cost-effective information and communications technology (ICT) solutions that assist UNU and its institutes in successfully achieving their respective missions. In fulfilling this responsibility, C3 is committed to guiding the University’s strategic technology direction and overseeing the coordination and support of ICT infrastructure, resources, and services in alignment with the University’s mission and goals.
Under the supervision of the ICT Manager, the ICT Operations and Support Engineer will be responsible for delivering helpdesk and operational support to the global UNU user base. Working within the C3 team, the successful candidate will be expected to work semi-autonomously to identify, diagnose, remediate, and document helpdesk and system issues.
UNU is committed to gender equality. This is a specific role and females are currently underrepresented in this field. Female candidates are therefore strongly encouraged to apply.
Front End Support
- act as a primary contact for helpdesk support for the UNU Global Office and UN House
- ensure problems and issues are systematically tracked, escalated accordingly, and followed-up on in a timely manner
- design, implement, and support the ICT infrastructure and services required for training and workshops
- evaluate ICT products and services to meet specific business needs and identify solutions to fix potential problems
- assist in the provisioning of IP telephone services and computer and email accounts
- set up computers, peripherals, and conferencing facilities as well as audio/video equipment for interviews, events, and meetings
- perform server administration across a variety of platforms with a strong sense of security
- document change implementation pertaining to the ICT infrastructure and services
- assist in the different phases of ICT initiatives as directed, liaising with other departments and vendors
- manage an externally hosted email security solution
- assist in the backend backup services and recovery of email and files
- operate and administer WiFi services
Communication and Outreach
- play a role in communication initiatives with the aim of increasing awareness of ICT services and encouraging more involvement in service innovation
- create, assimilate, and convey technical information in a concise and effective manner; tailor information to specific audiences including technical and non-technical end users
- prepare technical specifications and liaise with UNU procurement, vendors, and requesting teams at all stages of the procurement process
- keep the inventory of campus computing resources up-to-date, including the preparation of hardware for disposal
- undertake other duties and specific projects as directed, which may include researching new technology and developing innovative approaches to new challenges
- perform other tasks as directed by the supervisor
Requirements and qualifications
Requirements and qualifications include:
- a bachelor’s degree with 4 years or more experience in an ICT technical support role, or equivalent combination of education and experience; experience in systems administration or infrastructure engineering are considered beneficial
- familiarity and experience with Mac/macOS environment
- functional understanding of TCP/IP networking, information security principles and practices
- experience in documenting operational procedures and guidelines
- must possess good technical writing and verbal communication skills
- proficiency in troubleshooting computer systems in an enterprise environment
- ability to prioritise and self-manage time
- excellent customer orientation
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- experience working in a team environment
Hands-on experience with the following:
- Windows server 2012 / Active Directory / GPO administration
- Office 365 administration
- scripting pertinent to server management (desirable)
- client and server patching, review of security patches, compliance monitoring and remediation
- Linux server administration (a plus)
- familiarity with common helpdesk platforms (ManageEngine ServiceDesk, ZenDesk, etc.) and tools (TeamViewer, RDP)
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Remuneration will be based on experience.
This is a locally recruited position and no relocation allowance applies. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-Centre Tokyo with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
As soon as possible.