- Personnel Service Agreement (PSA)
- REFERENCE NO.:
- Tokyo, Japan
- UTC +8
- CLOSING DATE:
- Open until position is filled
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University Campus Computing Centre (C3)
The Campus Computing Centre (C3) serves as the technology arm of the United Nations University, providing responsive, user-focused, and cost-effective information and communications technology (ICT) solutions that assist UNU and its institutes in successfully achieving their respective missions. In fulfilling this responsibility, C3 is committed to guiding the University’s strategic technology direction and overseeing the coordination and support of ICT infrastructure, resources, and services in alignment with the University’s mission and goals.
Working closely with the C3 team, the ICT Infrastructure Engineer will build, maintain, and update infrastructure with cloud providers as well as on-premise VMWare environment using DevOps automation tools. The successful candidate will also assist in introducing new functionality to the existing environment, supporting server environment and other servers/storage infrastructure projects as needed, and delivering helpdesk support to the global UNU user base.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- assist in implementing on-prem and cloud ICT infrastructure and services with an emphasis on security, data confidentiality, system integrity, availability and reliability
- keep the infrastructure up to date with the latest technologies, drive infrastructure automation, scaling, and self-healing capabilities of the infrastructure
- assist in the build, deployment, and management of software development environments
- identify performance issues and optimise the infrastructure
- implement tools to further increase the level of automation in the infrastructure
- plan, develop, maintain, and document the infrastructure for C3’s business continuity plan
- perform server administration across a variety of platforms with a strong sense of security
- document change implementation pertaining to the infrastructure and services
- assist in the different phases of ICT initiatives as directed, liaising with other departments and vendors
- prepare technical specifications and liaise with UNU procurement, vendors, and requesting teams at all stages of the procurement process
- undertake other duties and specific projects as directed, which may include researching new technology and developing innovative approaches to new challenges
Requirement and qualifications
Requirements and qualifications include:
- a bachelor’s degree in sciences, IT, engineering, or mathematics
- a minimum of 4 years of experience in managing cloud infrastructure (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP)
- a minimum of 2 years of experience in buildout of VMware, Linux, or cloud environments using DevOps automation tools and techniques (e.g., Terraform, Puppet, Ansible)
- experience operating within and knowledge of information security frameworks
- working knowledge of a scripting language pertaining to infrastructure management (e.g., PowerShell, Python)
- experience customising and managing monitoring, metrics collection, and graphing systems (e.g., Kibana, Grafana, Prometheus)
- understanding of enterprise storage system
- experience with network security and administration, specifically with firewalls, switch and load balancer administration
- office 365 administration a plus
- familiarity with app containerisation and Jenkins a plus
- must possess good technical writing and verbal communication skills
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- ability to follow directions and work effectively in a team
- excellent time management skills, organised, detail oriented, able to support multiple projects, and effectively manage a large volume of work
- highly efficient and effective at producing required results in a short amount of time
- ability to work with outside vendors to troubleshoot and tackle problems
- proactive, able to set a prioritised to-do list and identify improvement opportunities that are substantiated with a strong business case
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Remuneration based on experience. This is a locally recruited position and no relocation allowance applies. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU Centre Tokyo, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
As soon as possible.