- REFERENCE NO.:
- Putrajaya, Malaysia
- UTC +8
- CLOSING DATE:
Organisational Unit: UNU Centre Administration, Human Resources
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
Reporting to the Chief of Human Resources, the Human Resources Officer will be responsible for provision of HR services for entire UNU while ensuring the compliance with the applicable rules and regulations. He/she will work in the close collaboration with staff at the UNU Centre and institutes and the United Nations Development Programme`s Global Shared Service Unit to successfully deliver services. The post is located at UNU Centre (Administration) in Putrajaya.
- Provides support to the implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of these results:
- ensures full compliance of HR activities with the UN Rules and Regulations, UNU policies, procedures, and strategies; effective implementation of internal control; proper design and functioning of the HR management system
- oversees the provisions of the HR services to the UNU`s Administrative centre
- contributes to the UNU business process mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal SOPs in HR management, controls the workflows in the HR unit
- contributes to the implementation of UNU`s Gender Parity Strategy
- Provides support to effective Human Resources Management focusing on the achievement of these results:
- manages actions related to HR operations such as hiring, monthly payrolls, insurance enrolments, vacancy announcements, organisation of interviews, separations, etc.
- oversees the administration of absences and provides relevant advice to staff and managers
- liaises with UNDP`s Global Shared Service Centre ensuring effective and correct administration of UNU`s personnel and accounting for staff benefits
- supports the effective management of UNU personnel recruited under Personnel Service Agreement and consultancy contracts
- Workforce analytics and workforce planning:
- oversees the preparation and automatisation of the workforce analytics reports for UNU Senior Management
- prepares analysis for better workforce planning
- Provides support to proper staff performance management and career development focusing on these results:
- supports the implementation of UNU`s performance management policy, facilitates the process and provides advice related to the implementation of the performance management policy to UNU`s managers and staff, prepares training for supervisors and managers
- supports the implementation of UNU`s Learning policy and serves as learning manager for UNU Administration
- Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of following results:
- organises training for admin/HR focal points in the UNU on HR-related topics
- contributes to the design and management of UNU onboarding programme
- contributes to knowledge sharing by synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds positively to differences and fully adheres to the principles defined by UN/UNU Charter. Upholds organisational and ethical norms.
- Acts as positive role contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership model, motivates and inspires others.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effective adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Applies innovation and creativity to problem solving.
- Actively works with the internal clients, evaluates the clients` needs and adapts his/her approach accordingly. Actively seeks feedback from the clients.
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- bachelor`s degree or an equivalent in business administration, human resources, psychology, or related field
- at least 7 (seven) years or 5 (five years) combined with MA degree or equivalent of progressively responsible experience with successful track record in human resources, preferably in the international environment
- proven inter-personal skills, ability to work in the multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- experience in implementation and drafting of complex HR processes
- fluency in oral and written English with excellent drafting and communication skills; knowledge of a second UN language is an advantage
- experience with ERP systems (HR management, recruitment) is considered an asset
- advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and/or Power BI is considered an asset
- strong commitment to customer service
- must be autonomous, result oriented, self-motivated and hands-on, with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- experience with United Nations HR policies and practice is desirable but not a requirement
Remuneration will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate and at the NO-A level of the National Professional Officer salary scale for Kuala Lumpur (duty station). For more information please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/malaysia.htm.
Duration of contract:
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment. In accordance with the UNU Personnel Policy, the period of initial contract would be for one-year with the possibility to extend. The mandatory retirement age in the United Nations is 65 years.
Staff members of the UNU are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the University.
This is locally recruited post. National Professional Officers shall be of the nationality of the country where the office concerned is located — in this particular case, Malaysia.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.