- REFERENCE NO.:
- Putrajaya, Malaysia
- UTC +8
- CLOSING DATE:
Organisational Unit: UNU Centre Administration, Finance
About the United Nations University
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its member states.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior Finance Manager, the Finance Associate will be responsible for provision of budgetary and reporting services for UNU globally while ensuring the compliance with the applicable rules and regulations. He/she will work in close collaboration with staff at the UNU Centre and institutes to successfully deliver services. The post is located at UNU Centre (Administration) in Putrajaya.
Ensures the implementation of effective financial closing and reporting:
- contributes to the month-end closure of modules in the ERP system
- assists in the preparation of the monthly financial reports and annual financial statements.
- analyses accounts and reviews regular financial reports, including donor agreements and project financial reports from institutes; identifies and resolves issues related to accounts and/or transactions in a timely manner
- prepares information required to respond to audit findings and recommendations
- leads initiatives to improve workflow and streamline financial reporting processes to enhance efficiency and productivity
Supports the preparation and monitoring of budgets:
- prepares supporting documents for the finalisation of cost estimates and budget proposals
- prepares budget execution reports, highlighting variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures; and provides advice to the institutes in the review of their budget execution
- contributes to the timely preparation of a variety of management reports, including the financial aspects of donor/project reporting and UNU Council reports
Facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- provides guidance and training to personnel concerning the application of the UNU policies, UN Financial Regulations and Rules, and established operational practices, as well as interpretation of requirements for handling financial and budgetary transactions
- contributes to knowledge sharing by synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance
- contributes to new ERP modules implementation and continuous initiatives on systems enhancements
Provides administrative office support services to help ensure the smooth functioning of the Finance Unit, and performs any other duties as may be assigned
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- bachelor`s degree or equivalent from a recognised university in finance, accounting, or equivalent disciplines with a minimum 5 years of relevant working experience; alternatively, a post-high-school certificate or diploma in accounting with at least 7 years of relevant working experience
- experience working with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) or other international accounting standards is desirable
- good Excel spreadsheet skills and experience in handling ERP systems; knowledge of Oracle Peoplesoft is an advantage
- ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience
- fluency in both oral and written English is required; knowledge of another UN official language is an asset
- result-oriented, self-motivated and hands on, with the strong ability to establish priorities, multitask and work within tight timelines
- strong commitment to customer service
Remuneration will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate and at the GS-6 level of the General Service salary scale for Kuala Lumpur (duty station). For more information please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/malaysia.htm.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment. In accordance with the UNU Personnel Policy, the period of initial contract would be for one-year with the possibility to extend. The mandatory retirement age in the United Nations is 65 years.
Staff members of the UNU are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the University.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
As soon as possible.