- REFERENCE NO.:
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- UTC +9
- CLOSING DATE:
Organizational Unit: UNU International Institute for Global Health (UNU-IIGH)
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
UNU International Institute for Global Health (UNU-IIGH)
UNU-IIGH is focused on research and capacity building in global health, specifically related to informing the policy debates and directions that ensure that in keeping with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of “no one is left behind”.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with a strong commitment to customer service and the potential to bring a significant contribution to the worldwide expansion of UNU’s operations
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Directorate, the successful candidate is entrusted with the following responsibilities:
- work in close collaboration with colleagues from UNU Centre (Headquarters) to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions
- liaise with sponsoring offices within Malaysian government and the Malaysian higher education sector to establish national collaborations
- liaise with UN and other international and national institutions in the preparation of contributions to UN reports and coordination mechanisms
- provide guidance and supervision to junior administrative staff in administrative roles
- ensure effective and efficient functioning of the Directorate, full confidentiality in all official communication, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow, and follow-up on deadlines
- assist in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation; implementation, monitoring and closure under the Directorate
- assist in the preparation and analysis of programme/project budget proposals
The role also includes Administrative Support functions:
- provide substantive and administrative support in managing priorities and work flow of the Directorate; coordinate and monitor multiple and diverse activities and work processes to ensure that management directives and decisions are properly carried out and products delivered in a timely manner
- compile and analyse data from a variety of sources (including UNU’s ERP System), summarising and presenting conclusions for review by the Directorate
- manage scheduling of the Directorate
- screen and prioritise incoming correspondence; draft responses where appropriate and monitor and follow-up on actions to be taken
- support the Directorate in presentations to intergovernmental bodies and other meetings through background research, briefing notes, slides, relevant documentation
- organise official receptions, meetings
- manage quality control checks for all outgoing documents
The work requires frequent interaction with the following:
- all staff members of the Institute, i.e. Directorate, research fellows, administrative staff and individuals/contractors and clients of UNU-IIGH
- diplomatic staff, non-governmental organisations, government officials, representatives of the media, international organisations
- focal points and advisors from UNU Centre (Headquarters), e.g., Office of Administration (Human Resources, Procurement, Finance), Programme Support unit, etc.
Minimum qualifications and requirements
Qualifications and requirements include:
- bachelor’s degree in Administration or any other discipline relevant to the mission and operations of the Institute
- 5 years of relevant work experience related to public administration or programme management preferably in an international organisation
- knowledge of United Nations administrative processes and procedures is desired
- demonstrated experience in the use of MS Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- knowledge and experience in using an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system like PeopleSoft Financials and any web-based management system is an asset
- fluency in both oral and written English is required; working knowledge of Bahasa Malaysia and/or any other United Nations official languages is an asset
- leadership, problem-solving skills, and ability to maintain office records in an accurate and systematic manner
- efficiency in establishing work priorities and ability to complete tasks within established timelines.
- a self-starter who can multi-task and work under minimal supervision with high level of resilience
- good team player with strong inter-personal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- knowledge or experience in a health-related field would be a significant advantage
Remuneration is at the salary scale of GS-5 level of the General Service salary scale for Malaysia duty station in the United Nations Common System salary scale, plus benefits. For more information please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/malaysia.htm.
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment. Initial appointment will be on a fixed-term appointment of 2 years, with the possibility of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply.
UNU-IIGH is an equal opportunities and diversity employer and is committed to a workplace that reflects the values of diversity and inclusivity embodied by the United Nations. Applications from women are strongly encouraged.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the University. The Rector reserves the right to appoint the candidate to a level below the advertised post.
As soon as possible.