- Consultant (CTC)
- REFERENCE NO.:
- New York, USA
- UTC -5
- CLOSING DATE:
Organisational Unit: UNU Centre for Policy Research (UNU-CPR)
About the United Nations University (UNU)
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
UNU Centre for Policy Research (UNU-CPR)
The UNU Centre for Policy Research in New York is an independent think tank within the United Nations system. We combine research excellence with deep knowledge of the multilateral system to generate innovative solutions to current and future global public policy challenges. Please visit the UNU-CPR website for more information.
Working under supervision of the Events Manager and as part of the Operations Team, the Administrative and Finance Assistant will:
- provide secretarial, administrative, financial transactions, and logistics support to ensure the smoothfunctioning of the Office
- undertake daily receptionist duties, answer incoming calls and provide support to staff and visitors
- maintain calendar and schedules; monitor changes and communicate relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit
- review, record, distribute, and/or process mail and other documents; follow-up on impending actions
- assist with the administrative logistics for events, both internal and external
- undertake financial transactions in close coordination with the Finance Officer
- maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit
- maintain office supplies by actively reviewing inventory and ordering items
- provide guidance and support to staff on general office processes and procedures, computer applications, printing, etc.
- support the work of the office ICT focal point
- help administer large distribution lists; monitor, prepare, and distribute various materials and reports; handle arrangements for printing as necessary; coordinate shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
- prepare and/or process administrative requests/documents, including requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, visa applications, hotel and restaurant reservations, etc.
- perform any other duties as may be assigned or required
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- university degree in Business Administration, International Management, Finance, Accounting or a related field (recent graduates are encouraged to apply)
- knowledge and work experience in the application of UN or similar regulations and rules are desirable
- some experience with Salesforce or other ERP software an asset
- excellent command of both oral and written English; knowledge of other United Nations official languages would be an asset
- proficiency in the use of MS Office applications, including MS Excel, is required
- strong ability to establish priorities, work within tight timelines, and multitask
- ability to work under minimal supervision with high level of innovation
- ability to analyse and revise operating practices to improve efficiency
- strong team player with solid inter-personal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender equality
Remuneration will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Duration of contract
The successful candidate shall work under a 6-month CTC contract, with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
Applications from suitably qualified woman candidates and those from developing countries are particularly encouraged.