- United Nations University Press
- Policy Brief No. 2, 2011
- Research Capacity Development for Environmental Management in Cambodia: Outlining a Multi-Sector Approach
- by Kei Otsuki and Shimako Takahashi
- PUB DATE:
- ISBN 13:
- ISBN 10:
- Licensed under the Creative Commons Deed “Attribution-NonCommercialNoDerivs 2.5”
Download PDF: Research Capacity Development for Environmental Management in Cambodia (429.5 kB)
Cambodian academic institutions’ insufficient research capacity has been stalling the advancement of the nation’s much-needed environmental planning and management. Drawing on the project “Multi-Sector Involvement for Research Capacity Development in Cambodia”, which promoted small-scale research activities at the Royal University of Phnom Penh in 2009–2011, in this brief we suggest that research capacity development in Cambodia needs to take a multi-sector approach that builds on:
- the recognition of the influence of non-governmental organizations on research;
- the link between research and public policy; and
- inter-university networking.
The brief concludes by exploring the potential application of this approach to research capacity development in LDCs in a broader context.