May 31, 2012 Tokyo
EVENT: Towards Rio+20 and Beyond: Challenges and Opportunities for Greening the Economy and Improving Governance for Sustainable Development
DATE: Thursday, 7 June 2012, 2:00 PM – 6:30 PM
VENUE: United Nations University Headquarters, Tokyo
ORGANIZER: United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS)
- The upcoming UN Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in June 2012 — known as Rio+20 — will address as its two main issues the transition to a green economy for poverty eradication and governance for sustainable development. UNU-IAS, as a UN University research institute specializing in sustainable development, will host a seminar addressing these two Rio+20 topics and other relevant issues based on the forthcoming UNU Press book Green Economy and Good Governance for Sustainable Development: Opportunities, Promises and Concerns.
- Through discussions with UNU experts and partners from academia, government and the private sector, this seminar will look back on the past 20 years of the sustainability debate to reflect on achievements and obstacles, and to address current and future challenges.
- Scheduled speakers include Prof. Govindan Parayil (UNU Vice-Rector and Director of UNU-IAS), Prof. Kazuhiko Takeuchi (UNU Vice-Rector and Director of the UNU Institute for Sustainability and Peace), Hiroshi Minami (Deputy Director-General for Global Issues, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan), Amb. Marcos Bezerra Abbott Galvão (Ambassador of Brazil to Japan), Amb. Mohau N. Pheko (Ambassador of South Africa to Japan) and Dr. Atsushi Suginaka (Director of the Global Environmental Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan).
- The seminar will also feature presentations by contributors to the above-mentioned book, including editor Dr. Jose A. Puppim de Oliveira (Assistant Director, UNU-IAS), as well as Mr. Kazuhiko Takemoto (UNU-IAS, Senior Fellow) and Prof. Norichika Kanie (Associate Professor, Tokyo Institute of Technology, and Research Fellow, UNU-IAS). Prof. Koyu Furusawa (Professor, Kokugakuin University) will also participate. A general discussion with the audience will take place after the presentations.
- This event will be conducted in English. For those unable to attend, the event will be webcast live (and archived) at http://videoportal.unu.edu/event/254.
- A book launch and reception for the UNU Press book will immediately follow the seminar.
Media representatives are cordially invited to attend. For more information, please contact Makiko Arima (arima-DONOTSPAM-ias.unu.edu). Further details and online registration are also available at http://www.ias.unu.edu/sub_page.aspx?catID=8&ddlID=2101.