EVENT: International Symposium on “Ecosystem Services from Satoyama, Satochi and Satoumi Landscapes: Strategies for a Nature-Harmonious Society”
DATE: Monday, 30 January 2012, 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM
VENUE: United Nations University Headquarters, Tokyo
ORGANIZERS: United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS), National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), Yokohama National University, The University of Tokyo, and
Research Institute for Humanity and Nature (RIHN)
CO-ORGANIZER: Ministry of the Environment, Japan (MOEJ)
- Japanese society faces new challenges in rebuilding a nature-harmonious society in rapidly changing global contexts. In particular, the changes following the Great East Japan Earthquake have raised a pressing question about how to overcome the damage and re-develop a pathway for managing ecosystem services and biodiversity while increasing the productivity of human activities.
- The research project on Ecosystem Services Assessment of Satoyama, Satochi and Satoumi to Identify New Commons for Nature-Harmonious Society, supported by the MOEJ, seeks to provide national policy options for rebuilding a nature-harmonious society. This symposium will present the project’s research findings and discuss modalities in which the ecosystem services from Japanese landscapes can be used and managed on a sustainable basis in today’s globalized and changing world.
- The symposium will include two keynote lectures, several presentations by representatives of the organizers, a special forum on the Great East Japan Earthquake’s impacts and rehabilitation efforts, and a roundtable discussion on a pathway for a nature-harmonious society.
- Simultaneous Japanese–English interpretation will be provided. For more information and a programme, see http://www.ias.unu.edu/sub_page.aspx?catID=8&ddlID=1973.
- For those unable to attend, the symposium will be webcast.
Media representatives are cordially invited to attend. To reserve your space, please contact Yukie Shibata, UNU-IAS (tel: 045-221-2315; e-mail: email@example.com).