EVENT: 2012 Africa Day Symposium – “African Development: Hard Infrastructure, Regional Integration & the Role of Japan”
DATE: Friday, 25 May 2012, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
VENUE: U Thant International Conference Hall, United Nations University Headquarters, Tokyo
ORGANIZERS: United Nations University (UNU) and the African Diplomatic Corps (ADC)
SPONSOR: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
- This year, the annual Africa Day Symposium will be centred on the nexus of hard infrastructure, regional integration, development and the important role of Japan. More specifically, it will focus on the Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA) initiative, which places priority on key infrastructure projects that support regional integration and the physical interconnection between and among African countries. PIDA is a fully integrated infrastructure development blueprint for the continent led by the African Union Commission, the African Development Bank and the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) Planning and Coordination Agency.
- With the impending convening of the fifth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V) in June 2013, this symposium will further highlight how the growing Japanese private sector interest in trade and investment opportunities on the African continent (including in the infrastructure sector) can be further expanded in this critical field of development.
- The 2012 Africa Day Symposium will feature a keynote speech by Ibrahim Mayaki, Chief Executive Officer of the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency as well as a panel discussion. Panellists will include Akio Dobashi (Chairman, Committee on Sub-Saharan Africa, Keidanren), Fumio Hoshi (Chief Operating Officer, Senior Managing Director, Japan Bank for International Cooperation, Hideichi Okada (Vice Minister for International Affairs, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan), Alex Rugamba (Director, NEPAD, Regional Integration and Trade Department, African Development Bank) and representatives of the African Union Commission and of the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ.
- Simultaneous English–Japanese interpretation will be provided. For those unable to attend, the symposium will be webcast live (and archived) at http://videoportal.unu.edu/event/252.
- The annual Africa Day Symposium series reflects the long-standing collaboration between UNU and ADC to explore critical issues of African development and contribute to a broad understanding of the problems and immense potential of the African continent. For more information, see http://unu.edu/events/2012/2012-africa-day-symposium.html.
Media representatives are cordially invited. To reserve a space, please send e-mail to email@example.com.