- Personal Service Agreement
- REFERENCE NO.:
- Bonn, Germany
- CLOSING DATE:
- Open until the position is filled
Organizational Unit: UNU Vice-Rectorate in Europe
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
United Nations University Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE)
UNU-ViE is an integral part of the Rector’s office and the first Vice-Rectorate of UNU outside the headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. Established in May 2007 in Bonn, UNU-ViE aims at strengthening institutional growth of UNU in the world with particular emphasis on Europe and Africa. A further task is dedicated to capacity development in developing and emerging countries and to assist the establishment of UNU “twin” institutes. For more information, please visit www.vie.unu.edu.
United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of research and training institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
Under the overall authority of the Vice-Rector in Europe and the direct supervision of the Finance and Administrative Officer and the HR and Operations Focal Point, the incumbent shall assist with the operation and administrative functions as related to general office administration, procurement, recruitment, personnel contract management and staff services. The main tasks are:
- Assist in managing UNU office premises, including coordinating office space assignments and moves in coordination with the Common Services Unit (CSU);
- Maintain and update UNU workstations and floor plan;
- Prepare and submit VAT claims, and liaise with the Ministry of Finance on any VAT issues; prepare tax exemption requests in cases where applicable;
- Represent UNU in common UN task forces as related to administration and procurement;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned or required..
- Assist in planning and undertaking the procurement activities of UNU entities in Bonn (e.g., office supplies, printing services, IT services);
- Perform market research of potential suppliers, solicit supplier offers for goods and services, finalize and issue purchase orders to suppliers, and follow up on subsequent logistics, take the lead in receipt of goods/services, and clear and process vendor invoices for payment; and conduct supplier evaluations upon the completion of the PO;
- Provide support and guidance to organizational units on all stages of the procurement process, and advise colleagues in the UNU entities in Bonn on matters relevant to the UN procurement rules and best practices;
- Assist with procurement announcements and evaluation process of the bidding documents/proposals, and maintain UNU supplier lists.
Asset and Inventory Management
- Maintain and update fixed assets and other inventory items data in the UNU ATLAS ERP system;
- Maintain and update personnel property receipt records, especially with focus on asset items of interest;
- Actively plan and coordinate annual physical verification of inventory items, and analyse any discrepancies;
- Assist with any asset disposal process.
- Assist with the recruitment of personnel (advertisement of VAs, applications flows);
- Assist with the maintenance of staff attendance records in line with UNU’s policies and procedures;
- Assist in drafting personnel contracts, including PSAs, CTCs and PhD Fellowship Awards, based on UNU HR policies;
- Assist in maintaining and updating personnel files;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned or required.
- Process travel payments based on established UNU rules and regulations;
- Close travel cases by reviewing and clearing staff claims.
Required qualifications and experience
- Preferably a first-level university degree in business administration, human resource management, finance, or a related field. Recognized qualification in public procurement or formal procurement training would be considered a distinct asset;
- Two (2) years of working experience, ideally touching the functions of general administration, finance, procurement/logistics /inventory management, human resources-related functions, or travel;
- Familiarity with UN rules and regulations concerning administration, finance, procurement and/or human resources, would be a distinct advantage;
- An excellent command of English is mandatory; due to regular contacts with vendors and suppliers, proficiency in German (both verbal and written) is required;
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications; experience in using Oracle PeopleSoft or any other ERP system is highly desirable;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, including good networking ability;
- Excellent time management skills, forward planning, with the ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision;
- A good team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with the possibility of renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status, nor is he/she a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Applications from suitably qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged.
As soon as possible, this vacancy shall remain open until the position is filled