- REFERENCE NO.:
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- CLOSING DATE:
- Open until the position is filled
Organizational Unit: UNU-Centre, Administration (Human Resources)
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
We are looking for an outstanding individual with solid experience in human resources management and the ability to bring significant contribution to the worldwide expansion of UNU’s operations.
Reporting to the Human Resources Officer, the incumbent will be responsible to:
- Provide support to Human Resources Services in the management, coordination and execution of HR functions;
- Contribute towards the implementation of human resources management policies and procedures, including providing advice, screening and analysis of requests from managers and staff, taking into account the needs, current policies and practices;
- Assist in monitoring contractors’ delivery of agreed outputs and obligations as per service agreements/contracts with regards to personnel administration matters, documentation and other deliverables;
- Provide support to the Human Resources Officer in coordinating with managers in the UNU Centre and RTC/Ps on staffing requirements;
- Prepare and post vacancy announcements, review applications and facilitate interviews and other arrangements in the selection and appointment of candidates;
- Assist in conducting induction/orientation programmes and briefing for new staff members;
- Assist in the research and implementation of HR projects within the Department;
- Provide reliable research, administrative and general office support services;
- Prepare classifications and analysis of jobs;
- Provide advice to managers on the application of staff rules, policies and procedures;
- Assist in identification of staff training, development and career support needs, including preparation and coordination of training programmes;
- Participate and assist in the preparation of the University’s budget and work plans for HR requirements;
- Assist in advising and counseling of staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct, work and entitlements and provide advice on policies, rules and regulations;
- Assist and provide support and inputs to salary surveys assessing the labour market to establish salaries and related allowances for locally-recruited staff;
- Act as a general point of contact for HR operational matters;
- Assist in preparation of draft memoranda/responses, including briefs of meetings and preparation of reports;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned or required.
Required qualifications and experience
- University degree in Human Resources or a relevant field of study (Social Science, Psychology, International Relations and/or Business Administration) or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management or related area.
- Experience at international level is desirable.
- Sound knowledge and experience in administration and interpretation of HR policies.
- Experience in compiling HR-related statistics and preparing periodic reports will be advantageous.
- Ability to liaise and interact effectively and in a timely manner with colleagues and concerned parties internally and externally.
- Excellent spoken and written English and good drafting skills; knowledge of any other UN official languages is an asset.
- Must be conversant in MS office applications and highly proficient in data analysis and report management using MS Excel or Access.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision with high level of resilience.
Remuneration is at the start of the salary scale of GS-5 level of the General Service salary scale for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, duty station in the United Nations Common System salary scale, plus benefits. For more information please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/malaysia.htm.
Duration of contract
This is a locally-recruited post and a full-time employment. Initial appointment will be on a fixed-term appointment of two (2) years with the possibility of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance. Suitably qualified women applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.
Staff members of UNU are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of UNU. The Rector reserves the right to appoint the candidate to a level below that is advertised.
As soon as possible.